Monday, February 4, 2013

Valentine Collection Box by Toni Storie


Once again, it's my pleasure to bring you a Scor-Pal Tutorial.  I have made a Valentine's Collection Box*, like my daughter plans to use in her classroom on February 14th!  There are lots of pictures to follow, so let's get settled in.

Valentine's Collection Box 
Designer Toni Storie

Details - Paper: Core'dinations Core Impression Pink Paislee Modern Prints, Red Glitter Paper, vellum; Accessories: Scor-Pal, Scor-Mat, Scor-Tape, paper snips, sanding tool, corner rounder, craft knife, ruler, heart dies, heart punch, paper flowers, pink organdy ribbon, glue dots, dimensional adhesive, Recollections Red Glitter Alphabet stickers, Red glitter fun foam hearts. 


Supplies:
one 12" x 12" piece of card stock
one 4 1/2" x 8" piece of card stock
two 3"x 3" pieces of card stock
paper snips
sanding tool
corner rounder
craft knife
ruler
additional embellishments (ribbon, flowers, heart dies/punches, stickers, card stock)

To begin, place your 12" by 12" piece of card stock in your Scor-Pal.  Score are 3", 6" and 9". 


Rotate your card stock 90 degrees and score at 2" and 10".


Without moving your card stock, score at 1" down to the first 3" horizontal score mark.  Then score at 11" down to the first 3" horizontal score mark.


Trim out the 1" by 3" section in the top two corners.


Crease all of your folds.  Trim on the 3", 6" and 9" score lines in to the 2" vertical score line on the left hand side and then trim on the 3", 6" and 9" score lines in to the 10" vertical score line on the right hand side.  For ease of assembling the box, I trimmed on a slight diagonal on the second and fourth panel, leaving the third panel intact.  the third panel will fold up from the bottom of my box and create the sides.


 Place the 4 1/2" by 8" piece of card stock with the 4 1/2" side against the top fence.  Score at 3". 


Since I used some Core'dinations Core Impression Modern Prints for my box base, I now sand all the panels to expose the inner core.  If you want to stamp your box, you would do it now. 


Place your Scor-Mat into your Scor-Pal.  With a ruler and a craft knife, cut at the 1 1/4" mark from 3" down to 9".  Cut on the 1 3/4" mark from 3" down to 9".  Finish cutting the slot by cutting between 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" at each end.


Adhere Scor-Tape to the bottom of the box, front of the box and box lid as shown below.


Remove the backing from the Scor-Tape and create the box by folding tabs together.  Adhere the 4 1/2" by 8" piece of card stock to the box lid.  Trim out the card slot again, following your first cuts.  I rounded the corners and sanded the edges to ensure a good fit.


Here you see the box closed.  The side tabs are tucked in and the front flap is allowed to stay on the outside.


Now you can decorate your box.  I finished each end with 3" by 3" pieces of red glitter card stock.  Then I added my daughter's name in red glitter stickers flanked by a couple of asterisks and fun foam hearts. 


For the top of the box, I created a larger heart embellishment.  I die cut two hearts, one from red glitter paper and another from vellum.  I used a small strip of Scor-Tape to keep the vellum attached to the glitter paper.  For the tiny bouquet, I twisted three small stems together and then lined the back of the stems with 1/8" Scor-Tape.  I wrapped my organdy ribbon around it and tied it in a bow.  I lined the back of the bouquet again with Scor-Tape and stuck it down on the hearts.  Finally, I punched three small hearts from the Core'dinations card stock, sanded them and adhered them down. 

This concludes my Valentine's Collection Box tutorial.  Thanks for following along.  If you give this a try, be sure to link me up in the comments so that I can see your creation.

*I want to credit Karla Der for the original idea.  



3 comments:

Ellen Taylor said...

Way cuter than what we used as kids!!!! TFS

stampingbowd said...

Precious box!!! I am debating on ordering a cute gift box die and thought I should come check out score pal blog first to see if I could make some things just as easily! TFS!

Tya Smith said...

Adorable Toni! Nice job!