Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Locking Card by Janice

Hi, Everyone!  Janice here bringing you a quick and easy way to spice up your card making!  ;)  Sometimes I get in a rut and all my cards start looking the same.  I started thinking of a way to change things up a bit when my eyes landed on a dowel rod in my craft room--boom, it came to me!  :) 

Here is what I came up with.  It may not look that different at first glance but it is not your ordinary card.  Check it out.


At first glance, it seems like all the embellishments are on the top of the card as per usual.  Take a look at these photos to see how it is a bit different.

 The "embellished" wand slides out!



So fun, right!?  I basically created a little wand that keeps the card closed, tucked away in a pocket created using my Scor-Pal!  :)

Here is how I did it.
First, cut your card base the size and shape you want.  I used Spellbinders Labels Eight for my base and Labels Seventeen for my layering.  Using the Scor-Pal, score 1/2" down on one of the Labels eight.  Later you will put the two pieces together to create your card base.

Glue your layers together and cut a small square out of the three layers.  I used Spellbinders Classic Squares LG (the smallest die) to create my cutout.

Cut a strip of card stock that is 1/2" by 2" and score at the 1/2" mark, the 3/4" mark, the 1 1/4" mark and the 1 1/2" mark.

Fold at the score lines to form this shape.

Adhere here two card bases at the lines scored earlier to create card.  Stick the 1/2" by 2" scored piece through the square hole.  Put Scor-Tape on the inside flap.

Close card and press firmly.  In this picture, I added another die cut.  I used Spellbinders Labels Thirty-Two to create a fun frame.

And here is the pocket section fully adhered to card base.

I used a 1/4" diameter dowel rod to create my rod.  I decorated it with some ribbon and used a Spellbinders Hatpin Bezel to create the top of my wand!  :)  The cute xoxo stamp is from Flourishes's "Tiny Flowers and Tags" stamp set.  I glued my white flower onto my wand using hot glue and only glued down the petal closest to the bow so that it wouldn't impede it from sliding in the pocket.

I hope you enjoyed a fun new twist to your regular card!

Have a wonderful day!
Janice





9 comments:

Ellen Taylor said...

This is just the coolest card! TFS

llkalus said...

Great idea! Love it :-)

Anonymous said...

Cool idea. Thanks.

Kelly said...

Love your idea! Really cute and different. TFS

Diana Crick said...

Wow what a clever idea, gorgeous card!
Hugs, Diana

Julie Shearer said...

Great projects . I love your " wand " , too cute . TFS .

Ravengirl said...

That is quite clever!

Rea' said...

HAPPY to have discovered this sight... lovin' all these tutorials and the gorgeous cards!!

cotts said...

Wow Janice, this is gorgeous in every way and the lock is amazing - it goes to show there are always new ideas and techniques - congratulations on this one!